How to Apply
You are advised to contact CHSTM staff in advance of applying for postgraduate research study.
- If you are applying for an advertised research studentship covering a specific project, contact details should be provided with the advertisement.
- If you are seeking to propose your own project, you should normally develop this proposal in consultation with the member of staff closest to your own research interests (see research themes for an overview of our expertise). You are also advised to consult with us on funding possibilities.
You then need to make a formal PhD or MPhil study application to the University. Please visit the central University postgraduate application pages and follow the link to the online applications system.
Please ensure that you have the following supporting information available before making your application:
- Information about your first degree (copies of degree certificates and transcripts of previous study)
- Evidence of English language ability, if appropriate (please note, if any documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide official translations)
- Two references. Download a PDF version of the referee report form:
You will need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat (downloadable from Adobe) to view PDF file(s). PDF files open in a new window.
If possible, please upload your supporting documents with your online application. If you are unable to do this, you may submit your application online and send paper copies of your documents to CHSTM by post (see contact us). If your application is successful, you will be asked to bring your original documentation with you on arrival at the University.
If you are unable to apply online at all, you can obtain forms directly from CHSTM by contacting our research co-ordinator.
Students whose first language is not English should note carefully the IELTS or TOEFL requirements listed in the course profile. Part-time applicants may need to produce documentation certifying that they will have sufficient time for study.
When we receive your application, we will contact you to discuss the next stage of the process. We may ask you for more information, such as a fuller research proposal, your cv (resumé), and samples of written work, such as coursework or a Masters dissertation. You will also be invited for interview, giving you a chance to meet your prospective supervisor and other staff and students at CHSTM.
On the basis of your completed application and the interview, we will decide as soon as possible whether to offer you a place in the Centre.